This gorgeous bluestone building in the sleepy Macedon shire town of Kyneton is now called the Kyneton Bluestone Theatre, but was formerly known as the Kyneton Congregational Church, and later, the Kyneton Independent Church.
The church first met in a carpenter’s shop before a wooden church was erected on this site in 1853 under the spiritual guidance of Reverend Robert Anderson.
A respected minister, Anderson was very well loved by the community and surrounds, and when he sadly passed in 1855 – just two years after heading up the first congregational church – the funeral procession was one of the largest the colony had seen.
Anderson was then succeeded by Reverend George Cowie Morrison, a Scottish minister from Aberdeenshire. A bit of a “sickly” youngster, Morrison had felt the calling of religion since he was a young man, and around 1855, he left his homeland to take up the reigns at the Kyneton Congregational Church on a trial basis.
There was some concern how the community would embrace a new minister after the death of their beloved Rev Anderson, but after a three-month probation period, Morrison was officially appointed to the position.
In memory of their beloved Rev Anderson, and to house a larger congregational due to the popularity of Morrison’s sometimes controversial sermons, the community rallied to raise money to build a stone church on the site and by 1857 fundraising was well underway.
To raise money for the building of such an imposing and grand structure at this time was an impressive feat as funding had to come entirely from the community; an independent church meant no government funds were allocated to the project.